OT text message scam

Dave Cramer davec-zxk95TxsVYDyHADnj0MGvQC/G2K4zDHf at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 22 23:56:55 UTC 2008

On 22-Feb-08, at 6:50 PM, Daniel Gardiner wrote:

> --- Dave Cramer <davec-zxk95TxsVYDyHADnj0MGvQC/G2K4zDHf at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
>> I just got a bill on my cell for 28 TXT messages for
>> 32.50
>>
>> I didn't sign up for these messages and apparently
>> they are billed by
>> the sender.
>>
>> The number they come from is 33444.
>>
>> This is a good gig. Anyone know anything about this?
>>
>> Dave
>
>  Been doing anything on Facebook recently?  This link
> may be relevant:
>
> http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=20340348992&topic=3542
>
> in which case, according to the posts, if you text
> STOP to 33444 it should end.

Yeah, I read that. Reading all of it; the application developers of
that particular application answered saying they didn't use TXT
messages.

I have replied STOP to the messages, and they haven't stopped. The
scary part is they cost over a buck a piece and could be sent to anyone.

When I phoned bell they told me they didn't know who the recipient of
the money was, they just receive the bill and pass it on to the
consumer ( as if )....

She did reverse the charges though.

Dave