Xenix FS history lesson please

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 22 01:46:28 UTC 2008

I've been trying to get some documentation done on my program, and I
want to have a section on the various file systems. However, I am having
next to no luck finding information on, or the differences between, the
Xenix '/root' and '/usr' filesystems. I even looked up the old Xenix
programming manual (closest I could find to a sysadmin doc) from 1979,
but could not find the differences.

Anyone here remember anything about those filesystems? (IDs 02h [Xenix
/root] and 03h [Xenix /usr])

I'm not worried so much about nitty gritty details, just a high-level
idea of what they were and what the differences between those two were.

Thanks!

Madi