Performance problems in Red Hat AS4 probably related to CIFS

Mike Sillers mikesi-ft1kE4FQKTmJ6jDlghZswwC/G2K4zDHf at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 21 15:22:23 UTC 2008

I'm fairly new at this and am evaluating AS4 as a potential OS to run a
Progress database on. It requires that I mount a few Windows shares and
shortly after I mount them, the system "pauses" for up to several minutes.
I've searched the web for information but this distro seems to be different
from others in CIFS and SMB setup. There is no entry for CIFS in the
/proc/fs directory nor is there a config file for SMB in the /etc directory.

I've found something about others having this problem and seen this
suggestion:
socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_KEEPALIVE SO_RCVBUF=4096
SO_SNDBUF=4096 in smb.conf.

Currently I'm running samba3-cifsmount-3.0.26a-35.i386.rpm which I
downloaded from ftp.sernet.de/pub/samba/tested/rhel/4/i386
<ftp://ftp.sernet.de/pub/samba/tested/rhel/4/i386>  which seems to have
improved the situation a bit over the client included with the distro.

Here are some of the types of error messages I'm getting:
CIFS VFS: No response for cmd 114 mid 7
CIFS VFS: No response for cmd 114 mid 11
CIFS VFS: No response for cmd 114 mid 13

The system mount most affected is NT4 - the 2000 and 2003 seem better - but
I am able to access this mount from HP-UX 11i although it does cause
occasional timeouts (but nothing like on Linux).

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions I might try?

Thanks.

Mike