network segmentation without using vlans

Kristian Erik Hermansen kristian.hermansen-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 19 20:54:40 UTC 2008

On Feb 19, 2008 8:52 AM, Teddy Mills <teddymills-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I was wondering if it was possible to have network segmentation without using vlans.
> If I have 20 boxes on a switch, I do not want any of the boxes to know about each other.

There is some way to use special cables to connect the PCs to the
switch so that each computer can only receive signals, rather than
send.  There is a military term for this setup, but I don't recall the
name.  If you can looking to secure a few boxes, and the others are
hostile, merely place a Layer2 firewall blocking all MAC addresses
except those on a whitelist that you specify.  Easy enough, right?
VLAN is a way to go, but you can still hope VLANs in some cases,
especially when you double encapsulate your 802.1x payloads :-)
--
Kristian Erik Hermansen