EFBIG (File too large)

Anthony de Boer adb-tlug-AbAJl/g/NLXk1uMJSBkQmQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 18 16:00:33 UTC 2008

D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> I tried to read a log file into the editor but it said
>   Couldn't open "/space/tmp/logs/mythburn.log".
>
> I had no idea why.  The permissions were correct.  So I straced the editor
> and found that the file open syscall failed with EFBIG.

And the file itself is somewhere a bit past 2 gig?

> This seems really stupid.  Why not make off_t large enough to do its
> job?  Why have a separate off64_t?  We use headers and typedefs so
> these things can change when they should.

There'd be the issue of creating a time warp so you can go back and make
a 64-bit off_t before all the existing software got compiled, though in
theory with versioned libraries you should have been able to continue to
provide the 32-bit calls that existing dynamically-linked binaries expect
while providing 64-bit calls to newly-compiled code.  There are some
places where staying in the 32-bit realm keeps things smaller, though
most software won't have huge arrays of off_t values.

--
Anthony de Boer