OT: Buying Stock

Gary Layng glayng-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Sat Feb 16 15:47:38 UTC 2008

On Friday 15 February 2008 19:18, Mr Chris Aitken wrote:
> I want to buy some stocks. I've never bought stocks before. I have an
> RRSP and I eventually want to move that money into a self-directed RRSP
> (if that's what it's called when you create your own RRSP). I'm taking a
> Business Mathematics course at a local college (I know, I know, 90% of
> investing is guts, timing, luck etc. - it's the other 5% I'm taking the
> math for). For now, though, I thought I'd try buying some blue-chip
> stock. It's a small amount so I don't want to lose a lot in brokerage fees.
>
> Does anyone know a good discount broker? Any gotchas? I've never used
> PayPal or any other online payment method. I've only ever bought
> anything "off the Internet" by calling a 1-800 number (from a website)
> then using my credit card over the phone.
>
> Chris

I have a self-directed RRSP at a full-service brokerage.  The price is fairly
reasonable, especially if you practice buy-and-hold.  Choose companies who
seem to have a future (blue-chip banks, life insurers, manufacturers, that
sort of thing) and have a long and stable dividend payment history.  If they
have a dividend reinvestment plan, opt for that.

Avoid companies with no history of dividends and companies that are natural
resource explorers (they are very risky).

--
there's no place like 127.0.0.1