OT: Buying Stock

Asaf Maruf asafmaruf-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Feb 16 07:47:43 UTC 2008

I think you should prepare very well before considering buying and selling
stocks. I personally think investing is all about calculation, preparation,
hardwork and timing. This is serious stuff. There is always the perception
that market is down and stocks are easy picking and vice versa.

This is our hard-earned money. We can't depend on perceptions or what the
current market rumors are saying. We need to be dead sure. We need to be
absolutely clear it is the right time to purchase/sell a particular stock.

The intelligent investor will study the market, consider a portfolio of
stocks and wait for the right time.

I would recommend reading the classic "Security Analysis" by Ben Graham (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_Analysis). Ben Graham was the mentor
for Warren Buffett.

Closer to home you can refer to www.gordonpape.com. Pick up one of his books
and understand it.

Asaf

On Feb 15, 2008 11:26 PM, ted leslie <tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 20:08:55 -0500
> Stephen <stephen-d-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
> > Mr Chris Aitken wrote:
> > > I want to buy some stocks. I've never bought stocks before. I have an
> > > RRSP and I eventually want to move that money into a self-directed
> RRSP
> > > (if that's what it's called when you create your own RRSP). I'm taking
> > > Business Mathematics course at a local college (I know, I know, 90% of
> > > investing is guts, timing, luck etc. - it's the other 5% I'm taking
> the
> > > math for). For now, though, I thought I'd try buying some blue-chip
> > > stock. It's a small amount so I don't want to lose a lot in brokerage
> fees.
> > >
> > > Does anyone know a good discount broker? Any gotchas? I've never used
> > > PayPal or any other online payment method. I've only ever bought
> > > anything "off the Internet" by calling a 1-800 number (from a website)
> > > then using my credit card over the phone.
> >
> > Do you have a bank account?
> >
> > Whoever you bank with is a good starting place since they have some
> > record that you exist.
> >
> > The market is down, and you are, I assume, young, so buying stocks makes
> > sense.
>
> The market is down? you got a stock market crystal ball? you wanna sell
> it?
> There are some that say its about to tank.
>
> I'd say, if you havn't bought a home,
> use your first time home buyers RRSP contrib. allowance,
> by a property after the home market crashes in 4-8 months,
> by a condo in BLue mountain or somewhere and rent it out,
> or just by a condo somewhere and live in it (assuming you don't own
> already).
> Get your ass into at least a primary residence first, worry about stock
> later.
> Your appreciating home is tax free, and you can't get better loan rates
> then a mortgage.
>
> (house market crashing prediction isn't fact, just a "hunch",
> I am selling my home right now, and RA's are seeing it soften large now,
> I am hoping to bail into a apartment for 1 year and hopefully watch a
> major collapse from the sidelines, then come in later, but who knows.)
>
> If you can move to Windsor ... wow, they are in a depression there,
> you can buy stuff for half of what it was selling for 2 years ago,
> you can buy a house and lot for less then it cost to build the house
> 2 years ago, its nuts, because Detroit has collapsed, and took Windsor
> with it.
> But then you gotta want to live in Windsor :(
>
> -tl
> >
> > How much is in your RRSP? Buying individual stocks when you have less
> > that $20,000 (bare minimum) is not wise.
> >
> > If less than 20,000 consider a stock market index mutual fund from your
> > bank.
> >
> > Google is your friend.
> >
> > Stephen
> >

> > --
> [...]

"I can live with doubt and uncertainty and not knowing. I think it is much
more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers that might be
wrong." - Richard P. Feynman