archival disaster: CD envelopes

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 15 18:27:13 UTC 2008

I just went back into my write-mostly archive of old CDs and DVDs.  I
store each of them in a CD envelope with a transparent window (so you can see
the CD label).

On my disks from 2004, the window is adhering to the disk.  When I try
to remove the CD from the envelope, the window is sticking to the
disk and tearing.  Big and little bits of the window remain on the
disk.  It could be worse: the window could be ripping bits off the CD,
rendering the CD useless.

I am *guessing* that a CD reader can still read the disk with bits of
window stuck to it.  After all, you can stick a paper label on that
side of a CD.  It may be that the window has made the disk unbalanced
and that might be a problem.

Yikes!