no spellcheck in OO

Jason Shein jason-xgs8i/e9EeWTtA8H5PvdGCwD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 11 18:29:10 UTC 2008

On February 11, 2008 09:17:55 am Chris Aitken wrote:
> I have two installations of Open Office on two different computers on
> which Spellcheck is not working. It's the OO 2.3 that comes loaded with
> Ubuntu 7.10. Any ideas why this is?

I went through this yesterday. The solution that I found worked is as follows:

1: Install aspell

2: Start up OOWriter using sudo ( Will not work as a regular user - even if
installing in the users home directory )

3: GoTo  File -> Wizards -> Install New Dictionaires

4: Right click on English, and select "Open Link"

5: Complete the wizard, selecting the Canadian Spelling, Thesaurus, and
Hyphenation dictionaries

6: Wait. The servers are slow. It will complete eventually. If you have it,
start iptraf to watch the network traffic

7: Exit OOWriter, the n start as the regular user, and the dictionary will
function.

--
Jason Shein
Detached Networks