Help getting mutt and ssmtp to use non-default "From:" address

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 11 15:26:05 UTC 2008

On Sun, Feb 10, 2008 at 11:34:43PM -0500, Walter Dnes wrote:
> My current remote inbox at cotse.net has problems with email from
> tlug.  I've unsubscribed my regular waltdnes.org email address, and
> subscribed my Gmail address.  Google allows me to POP email directly
> from their server, and into my mutt Maildir.  So far so good.
>
> The problem is that I can't send as my_email_address-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org from my
> home machine.  No matter what I do, the "From:" always comes out as
> waltdnes aht-sign waltdnes dot org, when I send a test message to my
> dialup account.  What do I have to tweak?
>
> I've now dropped my standards, and am using web-mail (bleaghh) to send
> this post to the list.  I hope it comes through as text, rather than
> cutsie HTML or RTF.

I think all decent mail servers (of which ssmtp is obviously not one),
have simple ways to do what you want.  exim4 certainly has no problem
working with mutt and setting the outbound domain to whatever I want.

ssmtp is really not very useful unless all you are doing is sending cron
job messages to a single account somewhere else.  It really isn't meant
to handle normal mail.

--
Len Sorensen