network printing

Chris Aitken chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 8 15:59:02 UTC 2008

I'm trying to print across the network from a fedora 7 machine to an
ubuntu 7.10 machine (printer is attached to that one). I thought I knew
all the gotchas as I've done this so many times.

Both machines are on the Internet, I can scp files between them, they
can ping each other, both have openssh-server installed, I changed the
line (/etc/cups/cupsd.conf) from 'Allow localhost' to 'Allow From All'
(see excerpt below). What else can I try? The print server (do I
automaticaly call it a print server because the printer is physically
attached to it and the other computers print to it across the network?)
prints to the printer okay.

#   Sample configuration file for the Common UNIX Printing System (CUPS)
#   scheduler.  See "man cupsd.conf" for a complete description of this
#   file.
#

# Log general information in error_log - change "info" to "debug" for
# troubleshooting...
LogLevel warning

# Administrator user group...
SystemGroup lpadmin

# Only listen for connections from the local machine.
Listen localhost:631
Listen /var/run/cups/cups.sock

# Show shared printers on the local network.
Browsing Off
BrowseOrder allow,deny
BrowseAllow all
BrowseAddress @LOCAL

# Default authentication type, when authentication is required...
DefaultAuthType Basic

# Restrict access to the server...
<Location />
  Order allow,deny
  Allow From All
  Allow @LOCAL
</Location>

# Restrict access to the admin pages...
<Location /admin>
  Order allow,deny
"/etc/cups/cupsd.conf" 85 lines, 2426 characters

Chris