Colocation available in Durham Region?

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 6 21:51:50 UTC 2008

Aaron Vegh wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>

>> Not to be nosy, but I do wonder why...  In both personal and
>> professional colo involvements, I haven't ever really had a reason to
>> care if the location was even in the same timezone.
>>

> Well, call me paranoid. :-) I just want to be able to get at the
> machine in case anything goes wrong. I suppose it depends on the colo
> support that goes with it, whether it's worthwhile to have someone
> there manage your machine for you? I'd be happy to invite broader
> comment on colocation in general, what kind of service one should
> expect, and what some recommended providers are?
>
> Thanks,
> Aaron.

In the "good" server sites, they'll never let you anywhere near the
computer, for security reasons.  I was at one recently, where I was
weighed coming and going and had my fingerprints scanned.  In there, to
go into the server room, you have to swipe your card.  That lets you
into a small room, where you get weighed and scanned again and if
everything checks, another door opens, so you can proceed.  You can't
even get out, without going through that process.

BTW, that one was in Brampton.