Tiny Linux-powered laptop -- Canadian!

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 5 03:30:50 UTC 2008

--- Evan Leibovitch <evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org wrote:
> > Nice to see a Canadian entry in this race. But
> keep in mind that the
> > Briklin car was also a Canadian product...
> >
> So you're suggesting that this laptop has the
> potential to become the IT
> world's Avro Arrow?
>
> - Evan

So, Canada has had some tech failures, so what?

The Avro Arrow, great technology, but a more expensive
aircraft than the government of the day thought Canada
could justify (were they right, well, that is a
discussion I would be happy to have off list, say at
the pub after the next GTALug meeting).

The Bricklin, again nice technology, but the market
for small cute looking sports cars isn't all that
large, no matter what smooth talking promoters may
say...

A question, how many Americans beat themselves over
the head regarding "failed" aircraft projects, like
say the  XF-85 Goblin fighter?:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XF-85_Goblin

or the XB-70 Valkyrie bomber?:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XB-70_Valkyrie

Interesting technologies, that didn't work out. Why
they didn't work out was looked at, and made for
better  designs down the road.

Likewise, the US has had some car design disasters,
like the Edsel:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edsel

or "the barbecue that seats four" the Ford Pinto:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Pinto

Again, so, some American cars don't work out, how many
Americans beat themselves up over that?

So, will this new laptop design work out? I've no
idea, if it does, great. If it doesn't, no problem
just move on to another interesting project...
Regardless, beating ourselves up over past failures
isn't something we should be doing (yes, all to easy
to do, but we shouldn't ... ).

Colin McGregor