Installing WordPerfect (was Re:RPM compatability)

Paul King sciguy-Ja3L+HSX0kI at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 5 02:19:15 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-02-04 at 12:19 -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 04:47:38PM +0000, Christopher Browne wrote:
> But there was already WP 5.1 code for unix running with an X interface
> for Solaris, AIX, HP-UX, SCO Unix, and Xenix.  It wasn't as if they were
> starting from scratch.  Except of course WP6.0 for windows was a mess,
> and if anyone thought taking that windows mess and using wine to make it
> run on linux was a good idea, well bad idea plus an API emulation layer
> does not equal good idea.

That never happened. I ran both versions of WP6 (windows and linux), and
I guarantee you the difference is the same as telling night from day.
Interfaces are different, and general performance is different. When WP
Corp had this software, I get the distinct feeling that they ported from
UNIX to Windows, not the other way around. At  the very least they come
from completely different source trees since they are visually
different.

> > b) Build or buy something akin to Bristol's "emulation of Windows on Unix."
> >
> > To pick WINE as a version of strategy b) isn't *clearly* stupid.
>
> Given the fact the unix code had already been developed before, it
> really was a stupid idea.  No question about it.

Unless you consider their decision to bundle Borland's spreadsheet and
presentation packages into the same office product. It then becomes more
difficult to say whether porting only WP to WINE or porting the other 3
office products to UNIX would have taken less effort.