question about /proc/meminfo (Inactive Memory)

Dave Germiquet davegermiquet-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 4 23:51:33 UTC 2008

Hi Guys,

I'm using my system and I occasionally use the cat /proc/meminfo |
grep Inactive to see how much memory I use.

I am guessing thats how much memory that I have available, however I
have recently realized that Active/InActive memory doesn't equal up to
MemTotal.

Not only that, but Buffers+Cached+MemFree doesn't equal Inactive memory

If I would like to know if my system is running out of memory would I
use MemFree+Cached+Buffers Or would I use the Inactive Memory?

If I should still use Inactive why are the results different?