Installing WordPerfect (was Re:RPM compatability)

sciguy sciguy-Ja3L+HSX0kI at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 4 23:24:09 UTC 2008

On Mon, 4 Feb 2008 10:13:00 -0500, lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org (Lennart
Sorensen) wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 03, 2008 at 03:51:16PM -0500, Paul King wrote:
>
> Well WP6 for windows was horrible, so being WP6 why should it be any
> different?  5.1 seemed to be the stable version for DOS everyone ran for
> years.

The reason it would be different is because WordPerfect was originally a
UNIX product. WP6 is stable in Linux, because the UNIX product was simply
recompiled with static libs for an i386 processor. If you ever tried WP6
for Linux, it looks vastly different than the same version in Windows. It
would appear that completely different source trees were in use.

>> I also have Corel WPO2000 and WP version 8 for Linux, but I find them
>> both less stable. WPO2000 runs on top of Wine (which is a problem right
>> there), and WP8 is the first version Corel f***'ed with. I was able to
>> expand the tarballs in WP8, but the installer crashed. Since Corel
>> withdrew their support for WP for Linux, it is hard to find updated info
>> on installing these versions on a system like mine (Ubuntu 7.1 running
>> GNOME), so the best alternative is to first try what I feel is a
>> fail-safe version like version 6.
>
> Yeah corel stupidly thought wine was a solution to the porting problem.

In fact, Corel was trying to find a cheap way to port all of its
newly-acquired Borland suite (Quattro Pro, Presentations, and Paradox) as a
single product with Word Perfect. So they ditched the stable UNIX version
of WP in favour or porting everything from Windows over to Linux via the
WINE libraries.

>> To do that, of course, I need to extract the binaries :-)
>
> So I guess you need to find packages for libc5 as well.  But yeah I
> think you will have to find an old rpm version to extract that package.
>
> The oldest I have found is here:

ftp://archive.download.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/code/rpm/rpm-2.5.1.tar.gz

I still have RedHat CDs from that era. I'll look at those first. But thanks
for the link.