Installing WordPerfect (was Re:RPM compatability)

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 4 15:13:00 UTC 2008

On Sun, Feb 03, 2008 at 03:51:16PM -0500, Paul King wrote:
> I never thought anyone on this list would flame bait WordPerfect 6, but
> for the record, I consider this version fail-safe beyond imagination. I
> believe you are thinking of the MS-Windows bloatware that came from WP
> Corp (same version number). This one was marketed by Caldera, probably
> to promote their distro of Linux. This WP was the first version ever
> made for Linux, as far as I know, and is solid as a rock. It was made
> when the version 1 kernel came out, and I was able to run the same
> binaries unchanged when the version 2 kernel came out, and it could be
> installed without any adjusting on either version, even after a change
> in glibc, or windows system (it comes bundled with its own Motif
> binaries). I don't know what your standards are for "stable", but I
> can't think of any software from anyone that could survive that, without
> needing to be recompiled.

Well WP6 for windows was horrible, so being WP6 why should it be any
different?  5.1 seemed to be the stable version for DOS everyone ran for
years.

> I also have Corel WPO2000 and WP version 8 for Linux, but I find them
> both less stable. WPO2000 runs on top of Wine (which is a problem right
> there), and WP8 is the first version Corel f***'ed with. I was able to
> expand the tarballs in WP8, but the installer crashed. Since Corel
> withdrew their support for WP for Linux, it is hard to find updated info
> on installing these versions on a system like mine (Ubuntu 7.1 running
> GNOME), so the best alternative is to first try what I feel is a
> fail-safe version like version 6.

Yeah corel stupidly thought wine was a solution to the porting problem.

> To do that, of course, I need to extract the binaries :-)

So I guess you need to find packages for libc5 as well.  But yeah I
think you will have to find an old rpm version to extract that package.

The oldest I have found is here:
ftp://archive.download.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/code/rpm/rpm-2.5.1.tar.gz

For some reason redhat has deleted most of the files in their archives
for version 1 through 3.  Makes for a pretty useless archive at that
point.

--
Len Sorensen