w2k/u7.10 dual-boot

chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 4 03:58:11 UTC 2008

Are there any gotchas to know about setting up a dual-boot W2K/ ubuntu 7.10
system? In the five months I've had my emu1212m pci soundcard I have not
been able to get it to work under linux. So, I thought I'd try a dual-boot
with Windows 2000 to see if it works under that OS. I installed W2K first.
Then I installed Ubuntu. Ubuntu suggested that if W2K would be the only
other OS on this system that I should install grub to the Master Boot
Record. So, that is what I did.

Now I'm getting:

***STOP [various memory addresses] INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE [then comes the
advice to check for viruses, remove newly installed hard drives/hard drive
controllers, check hard drive configuration, run CHKDSK /F

What happened? Ubuntu thought it would be okay...

Chris