RPM compatability

Paul King sciguy-Ja3L+HSX0kI at public.gmane.org
Sun Feb 3 02:51:49 UTC 2008

Hello

I have a bit of a problem with unpacking some rpm files. These are old
rpms (circa 1997) of WordPerfect 6. I wanted to turn the archives into
debs and install manually. I first ran alien which would do this, but
there were errors, and in the attempt to debug the perl RPM library the
error came from, I found the command that I wanted anyway, which was:

        rpm2cpio wp-6.0-1.i386.rpm | (cd x ; cpio --extract
        	--make-directories --no-absolute-filenames
        	--preserve-modification-time)

But the error was:

        argument is not an RPM package
        cpio: premature end of archive

Well, the argument *was* an RPM as you can see above, but these are the
same errors as seen under alien.

Anyone have any advice regarding extracting these files from the
archive?

Paul