help

chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org
Sun Feb 3 02:18:43 UTC 2008

Chris Aitken writes:

<snip>

>> Well, nobody's online so I might as well reboot (if I can).
> Since my terminal application is gone I can't even do a 'shutdown -r' as
> root. I'll have to manually power off. Man, screwing around with
> /etc/apt/sources.list and apt-get update is dangerous stuff.

I can't even shutdown the computer. I did Ctrl+Alt+F3 to get a terminal or
terminal mode or whatever it's called. I can't log in as root though because
I don't know the password. I don't know the password because the ubuntu 7.10
installer never offered the chance to create a root password (seems insane
ot me). And no, I'm not mistaken - I've installed u7.10 four times now on
two machines and each time it gives me a headache about root password. So,
how do I create a root password?

I should go back to fedora. I only switched because I was convinced that
boys use fedora and men use debian distros like ubuntu (or, of course,
debian). So, I switched to debian - feeling proud of the leap of faith and
was promptly informed that "ubuntu is not debian". I've had nothing but
trouble with ubuntu.

Very frustrating. I bought a semi-pro card (emu1212m) in the summer so I
could record some of my music. I have not recorded one note yet. I can't
even pay anyone to help me with this. There's no one in Timmins that can do
this stuff.

I'm just trashing my system over and ocer and over. And I have really bad
luck with timing. People on this list are very helpful. But when they are
unavailable I have the choice to either wait or try stuff myself. For
instance, David, you gave me some great ideas to try. Your very first idea
however did not work for me. So, if I have to wait a day to hear why your
first idea didn't work and what I should do about it I've lost a day. Four
ideas would be four days. So, instead I try other things - which has
probably already now led me to the brink of another OS re-install.

Don't get me wrong - none of you guys owe me anything. But this is the
pattern I've been in since last summer - and not one single recorded note of
music.

I signed up for the rpm challenge to record an album. I have the time, the
musical equipment, the studio, and the songs (thirty years worth) but I
can't get a note of music recorded with this emu1212m card.

Chris