help

Chris Aitken chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org
Sat Feb 2 04:29:18 UTC 2008

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at 09:42:48AM -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>
>> Well one method would be to just get the .deb packages from somewhere
>> that has them such as ubuntu hardy.
>>
>> You can get the .deb's and install them with dpkg -i blah.deb ...
>>
>> You can find them here:
>> http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/a/alsa-driver/
>> http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/a/alsa-lib/

Okay, I found a .deb there (libasound2_1.0.15-3ubuntu3_i386.deb). I
downloaded that and ran dpkg and it told me there is an unsatisfied
dependency so I tried apt-get install that dependency and then was
advised 'You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these'.
So I that's what I'm doing. Since there's no one around I'm going to go
ahead with all this then you guys can tell me what I did wrong so I can
do another reinstall on Sunday night. Man, endlessly screwing around
with things that are way over my head is so much more satisfying than
actually bein gable to just record music on my emu1212m:

chris at cpc:~$ sudo dpkg -i /home/chris/Desktop/libasound*
(Reading database ... 89528 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace libasound2 1.0.14-1ubuntu8 (using
.../libasound2_1.0.15-3ubuntu3_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement libasound2 ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of libasound2:
 libasound2 depends on libc6 (>= 2.7-1); however:
  Version of libc6 on system is 2.6.1-1ubuntu10.
dpkg: error processing libasound2 (--install):
 libasound2
chris at cpc:~$ sudo apt-get install libc6
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
libc6 is already the newest version.
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
  libasound2: Depends: libc6 (>= 2.7-1) but 2.6.1-1ubuntu10 is to be
installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or
specify a solution).
chris at cpc:~$ sudo apt-get -f install
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  alacarte alsa-utils bluez-utils bsh bug-buddy compiz compiz-gnome
contact-lookup-applet deskbar-applet ekiga eog evince
  evolution evolution-data-server evolution-exchange evolution-plugins
evolution-webcal f-spot fast-user-switch-applet
  file-roller firefox-gnome-support gconf-editor gdm gedit gij gij-4.2
gnome-about gnome-applets gnome-btdownload
  gnome-control-center gnome-games gnome-keyring-manager gnome-media
gnome-netstatus-applet gnome-orca gnome-panel
  gnome-pilot gnome-pilot-conduits gnome-power-manager gnome-session
gnome-spell gnome-terminal gnome-user-guide
  gnome-utils gnome-volume-manager gstreamer0.10-alsa gstreamer0.10-esd
gstreamer0.10-plugins-good gthumb gtkhtml3.14
  gucharmap hal-device-manager hwdb-client-gnome libasound2
libbonoboui2-0 libdeskbar-tracker libebook1.2-9 libecal1.2-7
  libedata-book1.2-2 libedata-cal1.2-6 libedataserverui1.2-8 libeel2-2
libesd-alsa0 libexchange-storage1.2-3
  libgail-gnome-module libgcj-bc libgcj8-1 libgconf2.0-cil libgdl-1-0
libgdl-gnome-1-0 libgnome-desktop-2
  libgnome-window-settings1 libgnome2-0 libgnome2-perl libgnome2.0-cil
libgnomeui-0 libgtkhtml2.0-cil libgtkhtml3.14-19
  libgtkhtml3.8-15 libgucharmap6 libhsqldb-java libjaxp1.3-java
libjline-java liblpint-bonobo0 libpanel-applet2-0
  libpt-plugins-alsa libsdl1.2debian libsdl1.2debian-alsa
libservlet2.4-java libxalan2-java libxerces2-java nautilus
  nautilus-cd-burner network-manager-gnome openoffice.org
openoffice.org-base openoffice.org-evolution
  openoffice.org-java-common python-gnome2 python-gnome2-desktop
python-gnome2-extras rhythmbox serpentine sound-juicer
  tomboy totem totem-gstreamer totem-mozilla tracker-search-tool
tsclient ubuntu-desktop ubuntu-docs ubuntu-minimal
  update-notifier vino yelp
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 116 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B of archives.
After unpacking, 359MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?

So, I guess I'll be entering 'Y' which is going to remove a bunch of
software from my computer for what reason I know not...