help

Chris Aitken chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org
Sat Feb 2 04:12:50 UTC 2008

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at 06:43:45AM -0500, chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org wrote:
>
>> I guess I can't install that with apt-get...
>>

> Well one method would be to just get the .deb packages from somewhere
> that has them such as ubuntu hardy.
>
> You can get the .deb's and install them with dpkg -i blah.deb ...
>
> You can find them here:
> http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/a/alsa-driver/

Why is there never any one around when I'm doin the really scary stuff.
Oh, well, here's trashin' my system...

Okay, at the above site there is no .deb file with the name
'alsa-driver' in it. So, I chose 'alsa-driver_1.0.15.orig.tar.gz

I downloaded that to my desktop and ran 'sudo tar -xzvf
/home/chris/Desktop/alsa-driver*

That unpackaged everything in to my home drive. I did cd to get into the
'alsa-driver-1.0.15' directory. I started the steps from the 'INSTALL'
readme and ran./configure:

chris at cpc:~/alsa-driver-1.0.15$ ./configure
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for C compiler default output file name... configure: error: C
compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details.

So, do I have to do apt-get install gcc before any of this will work?

Chris