ubuntu 7.10 install

ted leslie tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 1 03:12:11 UTC 2008

correct, if your router is the gateway, it receives the IP address from the cable ISP,
the machine behind it, they can be static or DHCP, but the DHCP will come from your router.

the router is usually pretty good about remembering the MAC address and reassigning
the same IP to it next time, i.e. you can be some what assured that the
puters in the home keep the same address they get from your routers DHCP,
if they get turned off, etc.

to be really safe you can just assign static to the puters in your house.

so really you can go either way provided your home gateway router is set to
act as a DHCP server too.

if you don't want to go in and configure your router, you might want to
go DHCP on the ubuntu install, because most home gateways, i think,
are configed to be dhcp servers by default.

-tl

ted leslie <tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org>