Wireless Office

Fernando Duran liberosec-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 31 19:37:16 UTC 2008

--- Mike Kallies <mike.kallies-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Fernando Duran wrote:
> > That's incorrect; precisely the beauty of
> asymmetric
> > (public-key) cryptography is that users can
> > communicate securely over a public channel.
> >
> > Several cryptographic methods have been proven to
> be
> > mathematically secure. A different issue of course
> are...
>
> Now that would be *BIG* news.
>
> Just to split hairs, public key algorithms have
> never actually been
> *mathematically* proven.

I think I know what you mean, to elaborate: the
encryption methods are as strong as the underlying
algorithm; *if* the math for the algorithm is
considered strong and secure (like factoring two large
primes) then the encryption can be proven to be
secure.

Actually, with unlimited CPU power and time a
public-key encryption is breakable in theory. So when
somebody says that some cryptographic scheme is
"secure" they would have to say under which
computation power/time limit and it's implied that
also "if no breakthrough factoring/whatever math
method is discovered".

The basic idea I wanted to convey for any
cryptographic luddite is that cryptography is
"considered secure" (secure in practice / for relevant
cases) and when there's a security breach is almost
always because of some other entry point.

I'm saying "almost always" to be cautious but in fact
I've never heard for example of a real remote server
that was compromised purely by cracking a current
cryptographic algorithm, if somebody knows of a case
I'd love to have a link. Most of the security problems
in servers come from 1) weak passwords and 2)
unpatched old software.

I agree on the rest of your message too.

Regards,

Fernando

 There's still a chance that

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elliptic_curve_cryptography

> (...with the bizzare exception of quantum computing
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shor%27s_algorithm )
>
> Does anyone have any better sources?
>

> -Mike
> --
> The Toronto Linux Users Group.      Meetings:
> http://gtalug.org/
> TLUG requests: Linux topics, No HTML, wrap text
> below 80 columns

Fernando Duran
http://www.fduran.com