Wireless Office

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 30 15:50:39 UTC 2008

Fernando Duran wrote:
> --- Zbigniew Koziol <softquake-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>

>> I do not trust all these encryption methods.
>>
>> If transmission can be intercepted - no way that it
>> is secure anymore.
>>

> That's incorrect; precisely the beauty of asymmetric
> (public-key) cryptography is that users can
> communicate securely over a public channel.
>
> Several cryptographic methods have been proven to be
> mathematically secure. A different issue of course are
> problems in particular implementations or
> configurations, the human factor etc that may make a
> scheme vulnerable.

And when a RADIUS server is used, the "password" is changed frequently,
both every time you connect and periodically afterward and each
connection will also have it's own key.  With a pre-shared password,
it's only changed as often as you change it and everyone uses the same
key, though IIRC, the underlying symmetrical key gets changed frequently.

Modern encryption techniques are quite secure (for now) and harder to
break, than tapping in at the phone company, ISP or even in the office.
Social engineering can make it even easier to break in.