Wireless Office

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 29 22:26:45 UTC 2008

James Knott wrote:
> Zbigniew Koziol wrote:
>> In most cases it does not matter but... in general, the idea of
>> wireless office is sick. Because of security. Everyone around can
>> monitor all office activity and steal data.
>
> That's why you use something called "encryption".  WPA2 encryption has
> not been broken and is very secure.  Do not use WEP and use plain WPA,
> if you can't do WPA2.  Many WiFi routers can be configured to work with
> both WPA & WPA2, depending on what the computer is capable of.  Linux,
> Vista, XP SP3 can do WPA2.  XP SP2 can only do WPA.

I think Zbigniew might have been referring to the problem of a shared
key. However, 802.1X to authenticate (RADIUS and an EAP implementation_
and distribute keys to a supplicant (client device) gets around that
problem. Most access points support this, usually it's called WPA
Enterprise.

The Linux box would make a perfect RADIUS server using freeRADIUS.

Jamon