Hosting Recommendations?

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 22 21:23:42 UTC 2008

Christopher Browne wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 1:51 PM, Phillip Mills <phillip.mills1-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> I think it's finally time to get rid of my various .../~pmills/... addresses
>> and consolidate the information there into something manageable.  (Call it a
>> pre-New Years not-quite-resolution.)
>>
>> What I would like almost immediately:
>> - a .ca domain name
>> - a few GB of storage
>> - reasonable -- whatever that means -- transfer limits
>> - a linux (or Unix-y) host
>> - ssh/ftp/... access for file management rather than some web-based horror
>>
>> What I would probably use in the intermediate future:
>> - a database (PostgreSQL?)
>> - server-side programmability (Perl?)
>>
>> What I might use in some far-flung future, but don't bet on it:
>> - Tomcat/JBoss
>>
>> Q1: Suggestions?
>> Q2: What should I be considering that's not in the lists above?
>
> I'm dealing with A2 Hosting, who seem to be out of Ann Arbor,
> Michigan.  Pricing's pretty reasonable; there are choices from few
> bucks/month to the skies.  I haven't found real reason to care what
> country my hosting is in; from a taxation perspective, foreign means I
> don't have to account for GST :-).
>
> Vis-a-vis handling of domains, I would Strongly Urge that the
> "availability of .ca domains" NOT be a criterion.  It shouldn't be, at
> all.  More particularly, I would NEVER allow my ISP to manage domain
> registration for me.  If they do, then it means that it's THEIR
> domain, not mine (or not yours!).  And if you ever decide you don't
> like their service, if it's THEIR domain, you can't take it with you.
>
> So take that issue out of the mix.  Find a CIRA-approved registrar
> from the following list <http://ro.cira.ca/re_choose_en> and see to
> registering your favorite name.
>
> Traditionally, with a "basic" hosting plan, you can get only about as
> far as having some MySQL databases, and the ability to deploy CGI-ish
> stuff in Perl, Python, and PHP.  In order to get Tomcat, you'd need to
> have a dedicated server, because Tomcat implies Java, and Java implies
> "memory hunger," and you don't get to chew memory on a 1/20th share of
> a cheap box.
>
> That has changed somewhat - you can buy "virtual server" plans, where
> you get to use a VMWare/Xen image, and get some fraction of a server.
> In that case, they tend to offer the ability to use *any* image you
> like, so you could use whatever sort of software you like.  Virtual
> servers are not totally cheap, but certainly less than dedicated
> servers.

The company I work for do both dedicated and Xen based virtual servers
and has a reputation for java hosting (on both offerings depending on
needs of the web app). A decent Xen VPS with 512mb memory would be under
$50/month and runs tomcat and postgres well. Sounds a bit advertisement
like, so I won't spam the list any more, but contact me off list if you
want to know more (or if I should broadcast to the list).

Jamon