Accessing Toronto Public Library's Website with Linux

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 22 01:44:31 UTC 2008

On Sun, 21 Dec 2008, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:

> I have no idea if this would work: traceroute works by setting
> hop-counts so that messages get bounced at different distances from
> the tracrouting node.  The resulting ICMP messages might contain
> enough of the originating packet to see if an option is changed.  I
> wonder if one could create a traceroute-like program that uses
> suitably crafted SYN packets to probe for this deffect along a whole
> path.

tcptraceroute will traceroute the path using a selected TCP port.  It's
been ages since I looked at the specific mechanism it uses but you might
like to try it.  tcptraceroute should be readily available in any full
featured Linux distro.

Rob

--
I tried to change the world but they had a no-return policy