Accessing Toronto Public Library's Website with Linux

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Dec 20 17:04:57 UTC 2008

| From: Merv Curley <mervc-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org>

| Now that I have visited a few more sites, I found that you just tripled my
| internet speed when browsing.  Incredible.

Wow, the routers at these sites haven't implemented RFC 1323 from
1992.

Worse: these implementations are actively broken, not just ignorant.
They take an option (Window Scale Option) and change its value when
passing it through.  The RFC says that the presence of this option
does two things: it announces the value of the Window Scale factor and
it announces that the sender understands a Window Scale Option.  The
only sensible things for a router to do, even before this RFC were:
- drop the option, or
- pass it unchanged.
I cannot imagine any logic for passing it with a changed value.

Is there a list of the router brands, models, and firmware versions
that are broken?

I just tried to read the TPL page on Linux, while tcpdumping.  I
observed the problem.

A comment in the LWN article suggests MS Windows Vista might suffer
too.  It points to
  http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/1744/vista_tcp_cannot_communicate_primary_dns_server/
Since this only refers to DNS problems, I'm not sure what the extent
of the problem is for Vista.