(OT) Cameras in low light

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 19 17:47:06 UTC 2008

John Vetterli wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 08:48:04PM -0500, William Muriithi wrote:
>> Ah, I feel like we left some important discussion here. Which camera
>> offer the best picture when taken in a poorly light area, the camera
>> that has the best focus sytem of course at the best price. I hated a
>> camera that I used to own because at night, I ended with a no image if
>> I did not use flash. Now, if my eyes can see something in the dark,
>> why shouldn't it be possible to have a picture in such environment?
>> Ok, this is just my pet peeve, but interesting info to have in mind
>> when shopping
>
> The problem is the amount of "noise" in the camera's digital-analog
> converter.  If you turn up the gain (this is the camera's ISO setting)
> too much, you get more noise than anything else.  Noise reduction
> techniques can only do so much.  So there's a limit on how high your
> camera can set its ISO.
>
> If you're interested in shooting in dim light, here's some things to
> look for in a camera:
>
> If you can afford it, go for a DSLR rather than a point-and-shoot.  The
> larger sensors in the DSLRs are less noisy.  If you've got the cash,
> look for a "full frame" DSLR.
>
> Look for a large aperture -- this is usually indicated on the lens; it
> will read something like "5.0-20.0mm 1:2.8-5.8" or "5.0-20.0mm
> F2.8/5.8".  The "F-number" (or that ratio) indicates the aperture size
> -- smaller numbers mean a larger aperture, and better performance in dim
> light.
>
> If you're going to shoot scenes that aren't moving, look for a camera
> that can handle long exposures (look at the camera's shutter speed in
> the specifications -- the longer you can set the shutter speed, the
> less light you need).  You need to use a tripod to do this, though.

Full frame, APS-C, 4:3, the sensor format (while it does matter a
little) won't make a bit of difference without good lenses. Seriously,
if going the DSLR route, lenses are the most important part. Sounds like
you're after the so called "fast fifty", that is a 50mm prime lens with
maximum aperture of f1.4 (or lower but those are pricey).

Here's an example with one handheld, f1.4 at 1/20s, iso400. My camera is
not full frame and I'd happily make 24"x36" prints with it's measly
10mpx APS-C sensor. http://flickr.com/photos/jamonation/3090300056/ It's
all in the glass..

Jamon