Linux friendly cameras

Mike Oliver moliver-fC0AHe2n+mcIvw5+aKnW+Pd9D2ou9A/h at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 18 18:28:23 UTC 2008

Quoting Christopher Browne <cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>:

> If the camera implements the USB Storage interface, so you can mount
> it and see its storage as a set of filesystems, then it seems to me
> that "never" was a bit too long a timeframe...

My camera doesn't show up as a block device when you plug the
USB link into the computer.  You can get the pictures via the PTP
interface but I don't really like doing that as it messes
with the EXIF tags.  So I just pull the card and put it in
a card reader, and then I can mount it normally.

I hadn't heard that some readers don't let you have access to
all 4G of a 4G SDHC card.  I have one of those cards and haven't
had any problems, but then I've never had so much as a single
gig of photos on it at any one time.  Maybe I should check that out....