40-year-old computer mouse demo still amazes

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 17 01:07:17 UTC 2008

Colin McGregor wrote:
> On 12/16/08, James Knott <james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
>> http://www.itworldcanada.com/Pages/Docbase/ViewArticle.aspx?id=idgml-d4617c1f-33bc-466d&Portal=4fb7319b-aa7c-423a-822d-2f6e24698c71&sub=146611
>>

> Yes, it is impressive. Pity that even 40 years on we don't really have
> some of the video collaboration tools shown in the above demo... :-( .
>
> Yes folks, tools that were very cutting edge 40 years ago have not yet
> become mainstream, sigh...

FWIW, many years ago, I supported some computer terminals, made by
Phillips, that used a joy stick, instead of a mouse, for moving around
the screen.  The joy stick was mounted as part of the keyboard, to the
right of the keys.  The operators could use the joy stick to move the
cursor around the screen, so they could perform various functions.  The
terminals were attached to a PDP-8i and used to enter telegrams at CN
Telecommunications.  I first saw that system in about 31 years ago and
it was a few years old then.