New project, "Code to Code"

Marc Lanctot lanctot-yfeSBMgouQgsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 16 20:22:35 UTC 2008

Madison Kelly wrote:

>   I decided to start a little project to see if it might go anywhere.
> It's simple, just a(nother) wiki. I've called it 'Code to Code'. It's
> hosted on an unused domain of mine. Should this get past go, I'll
> register a proper domain. In the meantime:
>
> http://madisonave.ca
>
>   I was wondering what it would take to interest folks here who are
> comfortable in two languages help get the ball rolling?

Madison,

Firstly: totally awesome idea. I would certainly use this if it was
populated with examples. I would/will also help populate it with
examples. I think this has a lot of potential and I urge you to go
through with it.

A note about the UI or navigation: I think it would be better to have
the algorithm/"thing" (let's call it a "coding concept" because in
general these are simpler than full-blown algorithms) that I'm trying to
implement as the first level choice and *then* see which source/target
languages are available for it.

For example, suppose I want to find out how to implement a method
override in a subclass via inheritance in C++, I know Python, and I know
Java. It doesn't matter to me what my source language is as long as it
exists for one of those two, so I can easily choose the source language
without wading through all the other "source language" pages looking for
the concept.

There's also the advantage that you can quickly assess whether or not
the concept exists in your collection, and and even better advantage:
you can put a pseudo-code version on the concept's profile.

Once the concept has a profile you could even add some comments to it.
Like, for example, in the above case someone could add a very useful
note: "Note that in Java all class methods are virtual so that methods
in a subclass with the same signature are always overrides where in C++
this is not true unless the method is declared as a virtual. "

All in all excellent idea and I'm looking forward to helping you with
it, but from a programmer's perspective I think this UI issue is critical.

Marc

--
Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which
differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people