grumble about GNU info

Chris F.A. Johnson cfaj-uVmiyxGBW52XDw4h08c5KA at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 15 19:55:44 UTC 2008

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:

> Whenever I use GNU info I feel that I've been rickrolled.
>
> Example:
>
> ls is using colour when it has no business doing so.  The device has
> no colour capability and the terminfo says so.  So I went to look up
> how to control this "feature".
>
> As is too often the case, the ls(1) manpage is incomplete.  It does not
> describe the environment variable LS_COLORS (it should).  ls(1) says
> the full documentation is in texinfo.

     My ls man page does mention LS_COLORS and refers the reader to the
     dircolors command.

     However, that is probably not the problem, and the problem will
     not be obvious from any man page. Some distros have the stupid
     practice of setting aliases for some standard commands;
     "ls ==color=auto" is one of the commonn ones. To prevent this I
     always put "unalias -a" at the top of my .bashrc file.

> The info command is particularly annoying, so I install pinfo.  But
> pinfo doesn't take the same arguments as info, so I give up on pinfo
> for this task.

     I've never tried pinfo, but info is a PITA!

--
    Chris F.A. Johnson, webmaster         <http://woodbine-gerrard.com>
    ========= Do not reply to the From: address; use Reply-To: ========