function keys on the console in text

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 11 16:06:27 UTC 2008

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 05:10:27PM -0500, Mike Sillers wrote:
> Yes, I am able to switch consoles. Unfortunately, the application we are
> running requires F1 to F4. Maybe we can set up ssh (how we are connecting to
> the remote server) to map the function keys. We're experimenting with
> dropbear ssh client but I haven't found anyway to fix the function key
> problem here either.

Well certainly putty defaults to emulating xterm, whihc has its specific
way to do function keys.

Some idiot programmers hardcoded VT100 or ANSI function key codes rather
than using terminfo or termcap to figure out the codes for the current
terminal type.  Those programs simply won't work in general.

--
Len Sorensen