Teacher tells students Linux is "illegal" and confiscates

phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 10 22:08:57 UTC 2008

Maybe the idea of 'the first one is free' reminded her of drug dealers.
Once the kid gets hooked on Linux, you charge him for something big time.
Upgrades? Bug fixes? Since that's the Microsoft philosophy, it wouldn't be
entirely far-fetched.

She's clueless but I thought the Linux guy was a bit condescending about
the whole thing. I worked with university profs who had absolutely no idea
about this stuff, so she's not alone. I'd give people a chance to learn
and recant before opening up with the big artillery.

Peter

> If she confiscated a knife, would it also be theft?  However, if
> something is confiscated, it should be returned later or given to the
> principal/parent/police as appropriate.
>

> Tyler Aviss wrote:
>> Seems to me that if she kept the kid's disks that it might be
>> construed as "theft" ... ?
>>
>> On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 1:49 PM, James Knott <james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Some people really are that clueless.  I suppose that teacher thought
>>> he was
>>> stopping software "piracy".

>>> --
>>> Use OpenOffice.org <http://www.openoffice.org>
>>> --
>>> The Toronto Linux Users Group.      Meetings: http://gtalug.org/
>>> TLUG requests: Linux topics, No HTML, wrap text below 80 columns

> Use OpenOffice.org <http://www.openoffice.org>

Peter Hiscocks
Syscomp Electronic Design Limited, Toronto
http://www.syscompdesign.com
USB Oscilloscope and Waveform Generator
647-839-0325