Seeking local source for thin-client IDE flash modules.

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 5 22:27:00 UTC 2008

| From: Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org>

| How about this one then:
| http://www.addonics.com/products/flash_memory_reader/adeb44idecf.asp
|
| Same as before, except opposite connector.

Shouldn't the one with the opposite connector come from
subractonics.com?

Maybe that's a good alternate name for DealExtreme.com.  They have a
lot of inexpensive stuff.  Mailed from Hong Kong (can easily take two
weeks). Uneven quality.  Fun!

This says nothing about DMA.

One comment suggest that this one is built better:

A comment claims slow transfers with this, but a reply points out that
"no processing is performed by the adapter".

What is needed for DMA?  Is it at all a function of the adaptor?  DX
makes a point of mentioning it in describing this adaptor (which isn't
the right gender anyway):

DX also has SD to IDE adaptors.  That is a less-trivial operation and
so they are more expensive.  I imagine that a fast SD is slower than a
fast CF.  SD is a lot cheaper than CF.

I happened to throw in these with my last DX order but haven't even
opened the wrapper on them.  So I don't know if they are any good:

The silk-screening on 711 mentions DMA.