Seeking local source for thin-client IDE flash modules.

Scott Sullivan scott-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 5 22:10:13 UTC 2008

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 05, 2008 at 12:31:03PM -0500, Scott Sullivan wrote:
>
>> I've considered the CF option already based on the reason you outline,
>> and it would work well if I didn't have two addition requirements.
>> 1) Sourcing a female-female 44 pin IDE cable to bridge the male pins on
>> the mobo and the pins on the cf-adapter.
>> 2) Not caring about it sitting outside the thin client case as there is
>> near zero room inside it.
>>
>> Thanks regardless as this info will likely be useful for other projects
>> down the road.
>>

> Does it currently have any disk inside or anything connected to that
> port?
>
> How about this one then:
> http://www.addonics.com/products/flash_memory_reader/adeb44idecf.asp
>
> Same as before, except opposite connector.

That would be a likely candidate, still running  into the space issue.
The module I'm looking  is pictured at the bottom of page 2nd from left,
top row:
http://usa.apacer.com/us/products/ATA-Disk_Module_(ADM)_specs.htm

I posted the above information in my first post, but got cut out in
replies as I had put it under the my sig. I then reposted this
information in a follow up email that no one seemed to notice. But as
you'll see the module is very small, and the pins on the mobo stick
straight up out of the board, where the 90 degree pin header on the
module meets them. Attempting to put anything else in the thin clients
housing would require cutting holes in the side, something I'm
desperately trying to avoid.

As I noted in the original email, I'm looking at the options for slimmed
down's distro, and the OLPC XO provides a nice reference design on how
to go about slimming Fedora (my preferred distro). But if I could get
those same modules with a greater capacity, it would make the task far
simpler.

--
Scott Sullivan