sun serial consoles via usb and linux

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 4 21:56:59 UTC 2008

Neil Watson wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I'd like to ask your experience with getting a Linux laptop to act as a
> serial console for a Sun chassis via a USB port.  I have shiny new EEEPC
> that I'd like to use for my data centre trips.  I had this in mind.
>
> EEEPC
> Minicom (Is there a better tool?)
> usb-serial converter (Is there a Linux tested brand or model?)
> cable (Is this always a null modem?)
> SUN chassis serial port.
>
> I've always found that getting the correct cable or ends if your cable
> is cat5 is a painful trial and error process.  Is there a specific
> cable that always works?
>
> Sincerely,
I haven't used a Sun serial port, however:

A crossover "null modem" cable is generally required for computer -
computer communications.  They're standard, buy them at almost any place
that sells pre-made cables.

USB serial ports seem to be fairly generic.  I've tried a couple and
they work fine with Linux.

Minicom is fine, but I don't think it comes with the Eee.  You'll have
to find a way to install it yourself.