sun serial consoles via usb and linux

Neil Watson tlug-neil-8agRmHhQ+n2CxnSzwYWP7Q at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 4 21:50:41 UTC 2008

Hi Folks,

I'd like to ask your experience with getting a Linux laptop to act as a
serial console for a Sun chassis via a USB port.  I have shiny new EEEPC
that I'd like to use for my data centre trips.  I had this in mind.

EEEPC
Minicom (Is there a better tool?)
usb-serial converter (Is there a Linux tested brand or model?)
cable (Is this always a null modem?)
SUN chassis serial port.

I've always found that getting the correct cable or ends if your cable
is cat5 is a painful trial and error process.  Is there a specific
cable that always works?

Sincerely,
--
Neil Watson