can't remove a broken package in Ubuntu

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 4 18:46:07 UTC 2008

On Thu, Dec 04, 2008 at 12:51:31PM -0500, Madison Kelly wrote:
>   I installed a couple .deb packages trying to get my Brother QL-550
> label printer working (and failing). Now I have been unable to remove
> the package ql550cupswrapper... I keep getting the error:
>
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
> # apt-get remove ql550cupswrapper -f
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   ql550cupswrapper
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 45 not upgraded.
> 1 not fully installed or removed.
> After this operation, 0B of additional disk space will be used.
> Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
> (Reading database ... 138584 files and directories currently installed.)
> Removing ql550cupswrapper ...
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/ql550cupswrapper.postrm: 4: /etc/init.d/cupsys: not found
> dpkg: error processing ql550cupswrapper (--remove):
>  subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 127
>  ql550cupswrapper
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
>
> Any idea what I can do to force the removal of this package?
>
> I've tried fixing broken packages, but no luck. This is particularly
> troublesome as I can't install new packages or update the system.

Edit /var/lib/dpkg/info/ql550cupswrapper.postrm, and on line 2 put
'exit 0'.

It means it won't do whatever it has to do, but in this case it appears
you MUST have cupsys installed, to remove this package.  Making the
postrm script do nothing will let you at least remove the package,
although it may not clean up perfectly.

--
Len Sorensen