[OT} Freeze At POST

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 2 14:44:45 UTC 2008

On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 8:35 AM, Colin McGregor <colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On 12/2/08, Stephen <stephen-d-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> So my main machine (running XP) needed a reboot after an upgrade.
>
> So, what you're saying is you OS is seriously defective :-) .
>
>> The boot is stuck at the BIOS screen where it says:
>>
>> Press <Tab> to switch to POST or <Del> to run BIOS Setup
>>
>> Tried all the power off and on sequences.
>>
>> I get no response from keyboard.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>
> Start with the simple, double & triple check connections (did the
> keyboard connector come loose?). If that isn't it, can you switch
> keyboards and see if another keyboard works okay?
>
>> (This is my upgrade excuse, I think)
>
> A change to an OS, even one as bad as one of Microsoft's should not
> explain the errors you note above. More likely we are talking a
> keyboard issue of some sort.
>
>> Thanks!
>> Stephen
>
> Colin.

I remember running into a similar issue (on a laptop, I believe) where
windows actually did an upgrade of a driver that then overwrote some
firmware on the wireless card.
I've never heard of anything writing the BIOS, but perhaps if you have
an onboard LAN card or something like that it might have done
something with that. Maybe disabling the onboard devices might help as
well?

To be fair to MS, I think it did mention the firmware upgrade when the
driver was selected (but the laptop user had no idea what that meant,
of course).

- TJA