OT: Is any hard disk brand better/worse than the others?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 1 18:13:16 UTC 2008

On Mon, Dec 01, 2008 at 12:54:58PM -0500, John Sellens wrote:
> "Disk failures in the real world: What does an MTTF of 1,000,000
> hours mean to you?"
> http://www.usenix.org/events/fast07/tech/schroeder/schroeder_html/index.html
> from the USENIX FAST '07 conference proceedings.

Well 80000 hours seems to be able to cause serious bearing wear on the
older ball bearing drives. :)  Not a drive failure, but it doesn't sound
happy.

> They looked at 100,000 disks of various types/brands.  I did not see
> a conclusion about reliability of different manufacturers.

It is usally more of a reliability of a model.  No company sets out to
make a less reliable drive after all.

> Anecdotal: I believe NetApp uses Seagate drives.
>
> Personal: I mirror everything I care about.  And make a backup.

I just mirror everything.  I value my time, so a reinstall is just a
waste of it.

--
Len Sorensen