OT: Is any hard disk brand better/worse than the others?

ted leslie tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 1 16:01:07 UTC 2008

got burnt 2 years back buying 1/2 height seagate's,
i think there was even a recall notice (or buy back),

unless you need the space savings of the 1/2 height,
you gotta figure that probably aids in making the drive
a bit more susceptible to heat and such.

i also get the drive coolers for any drive i care about.
I get the active/passive ones, where the drive goes into
the "case" pinning heat fins top and bottom, and has a fan.

i think it all boils down to, do you pay say 50% more for a drive classed as
a enterprise drive, and also with some history behind it for that model.
If your going with a 1.5TB (or even some 1TB), not much history behind
them as to failure rate.

i know i am in the same boat, about to buy a few 1TB ..
i think i will google for any bad press on them,
then out of the remaining considerations, go with one
that is a bit more expensive that is classes higher then
typical home user drive, and then make sure i put it into
a good hard drive heat sync.

this article (and it might be true), says go with the least platters-
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/storage/display/20070611122947.html

at tiger,
 	 Samsung HD103UJ SpinPoint F 1TB Hard Drive - 7200, 32MB, SATA-300 is
100$ more then one of the cheapest
 	 Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000 1000GB Hard Drive - 7200RPM, 32MB, Serial ATA-300, OEM
(i.e. comparing the lesser platter  samsung device).

wonder what percentage of failures are platter related, as apposed to electronics, motor, etc.

and who knows maybe samsungs new technologies will cause more failures else where,

yeah, i can see you dilemma, so glad i could help :)

-tl

On Mon, 01 Dec 2008 09:59:50 -0500
Evan Leibovitch <evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org> wrote:

ted leslie <tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org>