debugging javascript

Zbigniew Koziol softquake-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Aug 31 14:17:40 UTC 2008

On 8/31/08, Paul King <sciguy-Ja3L+HSX0kI at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-08-31 at 17:28 +0400, Zbigniew Koziol wrote:
>> Firebug is just unreplacable debugger of JavaScript. Unfortunately, it
>> does not run (yet) under version 3 of firefox, just only under version
>> 2. It is worth however an efford and mess caused by installing an
>> additional older version of firefox. You will love it.
>>

> I am using firebug on Version 3 of firefox -- it seems as though they
> have it for v3, now.

Good to know.

> I entered a call to one of my script functions, and
> it is reporting that the error is occurring on line 414, which is
> impressive for an HTML file that has only 150 or so lines. :-)

There should be a way to display the code of that particular line that
causes problems, so by looking into the code you may be able to find
the line itself.

One of the exeptions when that problem with line numbering happens is
when try statement is used. OK, I will probably be not able to help
more at the moment...

Well.. when I had a problem like that in the past I simply inserted
some empty lines and checked if the numbers shown by debugger increase
or do not change. In that way, after some trials, one is able to find
an exact location of the line where the problem happens.

zb.