Rogers redirect issue; Call for help

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Aug 31 02:09:06 UTC 2008

| From: Madison Kelly <linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>
|
|   Those of you on Rogers, can you try accessing my website and tell me if you
| succeed or not? David Collier-Brown noticed that he can't, and is helping me
| trace down the exact problem, but it looks like Rogers in resolving my domain
| to their own IP address.
|
| http://wiki.tle-bu.org/index.php/D-Bus_Tutorial_and_References
|
| This should resolve to 192.139.81.119 and be a mediawiki page with my D-Bus
| notes. If you get anything else, can you please reply with a traceroute, the
| error you got and anything you may think could help.

Was/is this a DNS or routing problem?  They are very different.

I don't like Rogers DNS: it hijacks unresolved domains.

I run my own DNS server.  I used to have it "forward" requests to
Rogers' DNS.  When Rogers started to hijack, I stopped using their
DNS.

When I did a query for wiki.tle-bu.org, there was a noticeable delay.
Perhaps if Rogers gets a long enough delay, it decided to hijack.

Anyway, it seems to work.

Here's a sample query (it worked):

     $ dig @64.71.255.198 wiki.tle-bu.org a +tcp

    ; <<>> DiG 9.2.1 <<>> @64.71.255.198 wiki.tle-bu.org a +tcp
    ;; global options:  printcmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 2

    ;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;wiki.tle-bu.org.               IN      A

    ;; ANSWER SECTION:
    wiki.tle-bu.org.        38400   IN      CNAME   tle-bu.org.
    tle-bu.org.             38400   IN      A       192.139.81.119

    ;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
    tle-bu.org.             86390   IN      NS      ns1.nouvelocity.com.
    tle-bu.org.             86390   IN      NS      ns2.nouvelocity.com.

    ;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
    ns1.nouvelocity.com.    172790  IN      A       192.139.81.119
    ns2.nouvelocity.com.    172790  IN      A       192.139.81.120

    ;; Query time: 45 msec
    ;; SERVER: 64.71.255.198#53(64.71.255.198)
    ;; WHEN: Sat Aug 30 21:15:46 2008
    ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 156

In case someone doesn't know how to read dig output, I'll explain a
few things.

First the dig command itself.

The @64.71.255.198 means: query the server at 64.71.255.198.  That is
the IP address of the Rogers DNS server that Rogers DHCP server told
my system to use.

The "wiki.tle-bu.org" is the domain name to query about.  I should
probably have ended it with another ".".

The "a" means: query for A records -- ones that give IP addresses.

The +tcp means query through TCP (rather than the default UDP).

Dig shows pretty plainly what a DNS answer message look like.

There are four sections, each containing zero or more sort-of DNS
records.

Each DNS record looks a bit like this:

    tle-bu.org.             38400   IN      A       192.139.81.119
                                            ^ kind of record.