how to tell which process is accessing my disk?

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 29 20:57:02 UTC 2008

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 8:39 PM, Matt Price <matt.price-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> i have a vague feeling i've sent this query out before, but i can't find
> a record of it.  is there a tool that lets me see what process is
> accessing the disk?  i just had a half-hour period where i couldn't use
> my computer at ll because trackerd was monopolizing the disk.  i'd like
> to be able to fire up a command-line tool that will tell me what's going
> on in such cases.

In addition to the other tools listed there's also 'fuser'

>From the man page:

FUSER(1)                  User Commands                 FUSER(1)

NAME
       fuser - identify processes using files or sockets

SYNOPSIS
       fuser [-a|-s|-c] [-4|-6] [-n  space ] [-k [-i] [-signal ]
       ] [-muvf] name ...
       fuser -l
       fuser -V

DESCRIPTION
       fuser displays the PIDs of processes using the  specified
       files or file systems. ...

--
 Scott Elcomb
 http://www.psema4.com/