Philips DVP 59XX DVD

teddymills teddy-5sHjOODPK7E at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 28 05:33:15 UTC 2008

There are a number of Philips DVP based DVDs. There are quite
inexpensive. I paid $40.

TLUG members advised me to make sure it had DIVX ULTRA, and a USB
connector.
I found out later my model only has USB 1.1. Nevertheless, USB .1.1 is
just fine for playing xvid.
The picture is amazing. In fact almost indistinguishable from DVDs 99%
of the time.

The USB seems to support only VFAT filesystems.
I sliced up a large drive into multiple partitions, but I can only get
it to use the first partition.

VFATs max size is 32GB and a max file of 4GB (check wikipedia vfat for
extra details)
However most xvid files are under 1GB.

So I found a 30GB IDE drive and put it into a cheap external USB case.
Every once in a while I hookup that USB drive to the computer and move
more data at USB2 speeds.

This is a very cool solution.