Philips DVP 59XX DVD

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 28 17:06:31 UTC 2008

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 01:33:15AM -0400, teddymills wrote:
> There are a number of Philips DVP based DVDs. There are quite
> inexpensive. I paid $40.
>
> TLUG members advised me to make sure it had DIVX ULTRA, and a USB
> connector.
> I found out later my model only has USB 1.1. Nevertheless, USB .1.1 is
> just fine for playing xvid.
> The picture is amazing. In fact almost indistinguishable from DVDs 99%
> of the time.
>
> The USB seems to support only VFAT filesystems.
> I sliced up a large drive into multiple partitions, but I can only get
> it to use the first partition.
>
> VFATs max size is 32GB and a max file of 4GB (check wikipedia vfat for
> extra details)
> However most xvid files are under 1GB.

Wrong.  FAT32's maximum size is huge.  The maximum size windows will
format is 32GB, but windows will use larger ones.  Linux's mkdosfs -F
32, will create larger ones and most systems that support FAT32 (if not
all) should work fine with it.  So just don't try to set it up using
windows and you will have no problem making a larger FAT32 partition.
VFAT is not a filesystem, it is an extension to FAT-12,16,32 to allow
long filenames by abusing previously invalid attribute combinations.

Max file size does sound right at 4GB though.  So some large videos
could need chopping although with DIVX compression it would have to be a
very long video to be that big.  I normally have seen about 350MB/1hour
tv show, so about 45 minutes.  That makes about 2hours in 1GB, so 8hours
in 4GB.  HD would be different, but I doubt your device does HD.

--
Len Sorensen