home energy calculation software

Ian Petersen ispeters-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 28 16:15:37 UTC 2008

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 11:05 AM, Dave Cramer <davec-zxk95TxsVYDyHADnj0MGvQC/G2K4zDHf at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I'm looking for energy calculation software for calculating furnace
> requirements.

You might find something on the web provided by the Canadian
government.  When I bought a central air conditioner this spring,
somewhere on the Government of Canada's web site I found a PDF
document that helped me figure out the "cooling load" in my house,
which lead directly to a size recommendation for the unit.  It was
tedious work running around measuring all my windows and doorways, but
it made me a much more confident consumer.

If you find Google doesn't turn up any Government-provided
information, you could also try 1-800-O CANADA (as in our anthem, not
zero Canada).  It's a free hot-line available something like 8am-8pm
staffed by real people that will help you answer just about any
question.  I've used them for a number of things in the past and
always been really happy with the results.

Ian